Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A REALLY nifty program!

Today, I am using a dictation program for the first time ever! In fact, I am entering the text of this post without even touching my keyboard to type anything!

Amazing!
Unbelievable!
Mind blowing!

Over the past couple of years, I have been talking to my brother who works on the Internet and is always in need of composing lengthy chunks of text, both in English and in French... a couple of years ago, he started to use some dictation program that also controlled his computer with performing some basic functions. The program was really nice, however it required plenty of interaction from his part, especially when it came to correcting the text he was speaking into his microphone... a lot of it came from the fact that he, just like me, has a strong French accent when he speaks English. It is also important to consider the fact that my brother uses and has used Macintosh computers since the 80s... The choice for serious programs has always been less than what was offered for Microsoft Windows...


Then MacSpeech came along...

The beauty of this program is that it was built as a native Mac application from the ground up. it was inspired by the Dragon speech technology, however built as a brand-new application. It is sold with a choice of hard core noise reduction headsets, understands my accent, and even can switch and write in French and German at the flick of a button. It also controls the computer via voice commands! I am utterly baffled by what this program can accomplish and yet, it only took me about five minutes per language to train it! I would recommend it to anyone who handles a lot of text files, or who, like me types in three different languages. Check it out if you own a mac, and see why I am so excited...

No comments:

Post a Comment