Sunday, September 13, 2009

A quick Parisian escape...

As mentioned earlier in this blog, I do sometime "escape" my everyday restaurant reality and go to work as a flight attendant for a major airline company... I will let you guess which one since it appears "they" (the airline) tend to dislike it when their employees publish blogs.... The last one to get in trouble with upper management had the unfortunate idea to pose in a rather revealing outfit and then broadcast the photos on the internet...

Anyway, I just spent 2 days on a Paris layover... Arrived Saturday morning... After a bus ride to the hotel and a quick afternoon nap, I made my way outside of Paris, to visit the castle of Vaux le Vicomte, a superb 17th century estate that was built for Nicolas Fouquet, then the superintendent of finances of King Louis XIV... The chateau was the king's inspiration to build Versailles and the story behind it is most interesting. I visited many castles in my life, but this visit was quite special... It was a candlelight visit of the chateau, conducted after dusk. It was my first time ever visiting a historic landmark after dark, and seing the rooms in the same way its builders saw it back in the 1600's was intense, surreal and almost indiscrible.



After an endless return (I was exhausted) to my hotel and a good night's sleep, I woke up early and went to a local's street marché, a farmer's market. I spent hours there, browsing thru produce, meat and cheeses, watching local Parisians buy food, talk about politics, gossip about the neighbors. The vendors set up shop just underneath the Dupleix métro station, just 10 minutes walk from the Eiffel tower. Like our SLC farmer's market, one find a little bit of everything there, from food to clothing and huge crowds make it difficult to walk around.... Unlike the SLC farmer's market, there is no food court, no hippies, and certainly no bad, annoying musicians.... Anyway, it is a great way to spend a Sunday morning in a Parisian quartier (neighborhood)....



Check out pictures below....






Headed back home tomorrow.... got a busy week ahead... Dad & Leon's visit, a lot of work at the restaurant, and yes, another tomato canning day! Whoopee!!!!

More to follow soon!...

No comments:

Post a Comment